The LBS Centre for Science and Technology ( LBSCS &T), Thiruvananthapuram the premier institute of computer training and consultancy, registered under the Travancore-Cochin Literary , Scientific and Charitable Societies Registration Act XII of 1955 was established by Government of Kerala in 1976. The Centre was started by the Government of Kerala as an Autonomous body with the main objectives that the Centre would act as a link between the industries and technical institutions so as to benefit society through their mutual interactions.
The Centre is administered by a Governing Body and an Executive Committee. The Chief Minister, Government of Kerala is the Chairman of the Governing Body and the Minister for Education is the Vice-Chairman. The Principal Secretary for Higher Education is the Chairman of the Executive Committee and the Director of Technical Education is its Vice-Chairman. The Director of the Centre is the Member Secretary of both the bodies. He is the Executive head of the Centre. There are Joint Directors, Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors, Administrative Officer, Finance Officer and other subordinate staff to help the Director in administration and financial matters.
Highly qualified personnel holding Post Graduate and Doctoral Degrees with several years of experience constitute the hard core of our staff structure. In addition, we are authorized to make use of the services of eminent Professors and experts from Engineering Colleges, other organizations and industries as consultants for executing the various programmes undertaken by the Centre. The facility to make use of the expertise of the various eminent consultants from any organization or industry makes the Centre competent to undertake and successfully complete project works of different Govt. departments using the latest tools and technologies.
LBS Centre is a recognized research study Centre of Kerala University leading to the award of Ph.D. A few scholars are already making use of the facilities of the Centre for their research programmes under the University of Kerala and one person has already obtained Ph.D.
On an average, the Centre could provide employment for about 300 to 400 people on part time basis as Software developers, Guest faculty, Computer operators, Data Entry Operators and Data preparation Assistants, Drilling crews, equipment repairers etc. annually.
The Centre has been functioning for the last several years without any financial support from the Government and depends mainly on its own income generated by way of course fees, Engineering Consultancy, Software Consultancy and works undertaken by Instrumentation Section. The Engineering College at Kasaragod functions on self financing basis with the income from tuition fees and deposits both refundable and non refundable. There is a steady increase in the collection of revenue in the Centre on all fields of activities every year.
- To establish and maintain educational institutions in the field of Technical Education/Computer Technology and also to organize and conduct short term/long term courses to various subjects/disciplines.
- To act as a link between Technical Institutions, Universities and other Professional bodies in the State and the Industry (including Public Utility Under-takings , Departments of the Government) to enable the available expertise and facilities in the various Departments , Laboratories and Workshops in terms of men , machines and methods for the growth and development of Industry based on indigenous know-how and competence
- To promote Scientific Research by undertaking Research Projects in the field of Engineering/Technical consultancy and to provide consultancy services in Design, Development and Experimentation with respect to industrial problems and projects and undertake turn-key assignments through the facilities and staff of the Colleges, Institutions, Departments, Industrial Establishments, other agencies or of the Centre with capability in specialized fields.
- To arrange facilities for fabrication , testing and analysis , using the College or Departmental Laboratories and Workshops
- To develop a modern testing Centre and to provide full fledged materials testing facilities as per standards laid down by ISI for various industries and other organizations
- To promote Scientific and Technical education by encouraging and conducting scientific investigations and applied industrial research and development
- To encourage self-employment and entrepreneurship of young Technologists, Scientists and Engineers and adequate training to them.
- To serve as a store house for up-to-date information and as a clearing house for research projects and consultancy service.
- To arrange facilities for fundamental research in any Engineering or Scientific field and to institute fellowship for this purpose.
- To publish research papers, thesis, books and periodicals and other literature relating to the work of the Centre.
- To establish and maintain libraries
- To locate expertise and arrange for solution of technical problems of industry, to apply for and hold patents based on the results of investigations and to arrange and negotiate commercial exploitation of patent rights and results
- To undertake such other activities as are relevant to fulfill the objectives of the centre.